Best Application to Lock Folders on Mac
Everyone have secret and confidential files, some keep such files secrets in their mind and some people just store them on their Mac operating system. But how do you keep such private and confidential files away from prying eyes? What would you do if you use a shared or a family computer? What would you intend to do, if you need to share that folder with someone, but don’t want it to fall into wrong hands?
Don’t worry! If you have the above stated question, the answer is simple locking such important folder on your Mac computer will help. Fortunately, Apple operating system has provided a way to lock i.e. password protect folders, no matter what the situation is. Here’s how it’s done.
- Open Disk Utility (Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility)
- Then, click on File --> New --> Disk Image from Folder
- Choose a folder that you would like to lock, after which click "Image"
- Select "read / write" option if you want your folder to be editable or modification-able (if not, choose read only format), after which select "128-bit AES encryption"
- Type in your desired password and make sure the checkbox for "Remember password in my keychain" is not ticked, else it would be of no use locking your folder
Locking your folder on Mac machine is as easy as that! A password protected .dmg file will be created. Larger folder takes longer time to get locked. Once the folder is locked, you can delete the original one. To access and unlock the folder again, just double-click on the .dmg file and type in your password. Always make sure to uncheck the box saying "Remember password in my keychain", which ensures the folder is always locked with password.
- If you have multiple folders to lock, then instead of selecting "Disk Image from Folder" you can select "Blank Disk Image" and then set a size limit for how large the locked folders can be.
- For enhanced security, uncheck "add password to keychain" box. Also, remember to eject the .dmg file as soon as you have locked your folder.
However the major disadvantage of using this technique is that, large folders take a lot of time and any interruption while locking folder will result in many hardships. The second disadvantage is that everyone can see your locked folder, and even an unknown person can easily checks and deletes the folder without your knowledge. So, to overcome this disadvantage industry experts have created an all in one FREE software named "Remo MORE" to easily lock your most important and confidential folders on your Mac machine.
Remo MORE Application:
Remo MORE application has been designed to securely lock folders on your Mac based desktop and laptop computers. The tool provides some outstanding features that help users to securely lock their vital and most confidential files away from prying eyes. After using the utility, you can ensure that no one except you can gain access to the locked folder. Furthermore the application easily locks folders on all the latest Mac operating system including Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.
Steps to Lock Folders on Mac Machine:
Step1: Download and install Remo MORE software on your Mac machine. Run the software and select "Manage" option from the main screen. From the second screen choose "File Manager" option as shown in Figure 1.
Step2: Select "File Protector" option from the third screen to lock your important folders as shown in Figure 2.
Step3: Choose "File / Folder Locker" option from the third screen. After this the software will ask you to set the password of your choice to protect folders with password as shown in Figure 3.
Step4: Now you need to locate folders that you want to protect by making use of "Add Folders" option. After that click on "Lock" option to lock it as shown in Figure 4.